Restore deduplicated file pool from tape

RecoveryOne

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Everyone,
Trying to work out what it would take to restore a file pool that is deduped and compressed. Either I'm blind, or just missing something here...
I do not have something like this set up currently so all this is just hypothetical.
Scenario is 100% restoration of a deduplicated file pool from tape media.

Let's say I have a 100Gb file system that I have allocated to a deduplicated file pool.
Its 75% utilized in capacity with 50% data reduction from deduplication and client side compression combined.
As such, when that storage pool is backed up to tape (uncompressed formatting) it gets hydrated to 125GB.

What would happen if I tried to restore that storage pool from tape (TSM Database is in perfect health, just filesystem for this pool is gone) to a new 100Gb file system? I'm assuming the server will not dedup or compress that data as its coming in, and the restore will fail until another filesystem is given to the storage pool to make it equal to or greater than 125Gb.

Is that correct or am I missing something?

Thanks everyone, and apologies if this was asked before.

You're correct - you would need to run identify duplicates, and then run reclamation to actually get the space back.
I suppose if you got in to this situation, you would just start a new pool and leave the copy pool for recoveries directly, and then just let the data expire out rather than try and full recover it.

Thanks for the reply ianr27.
Just was one of those things floating about in the back of my mind going, what if...
I was thinking much of the same thing of just starting over.
Take care

Let's say I have a 100Gb file system that I have allocated to a deduplicated file pool.
Its 75% utilized in capacity with 50% data reduction from deduplication and client side compression combined.
As such, when that storage pool is backed up to tape (uncompressed formatting) it gets hydrated to 125GB.

Just to point out - you really need >150 GB of space ((100 GB/0.5) X 0.75 = 150 GB).

Back