Reporting on SQL TDP Backups

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hi All,

This might be more of a reporting question than a TDP question. I've been doing API backups with SQL for a long time and have never been asked to do this before, but today I was asked how I might report on the success/failure of individual DBs within an SQL TDP backup. Of course, TSM contains SQL data in a single filespace within TSM, so you can't really tell which DBs are contained within that filespace. Further, I've never seen anything in any SERVER table or log which would show you exactly how much each individual SQL DB backs up and whether or not the backup was successful.

Has anyone ever had to implement a reporting solution like this before? You can get good information off the client, but in this case I'm being asked to report from the server side ONLY. I can't send the customer to the client to look at the SQL TDP logs. The reporting tool I'm using is only tied into my TSM servers, so if I can't pull it off a server, I'd have to come up with some other "outside the box" solution.

Sincere thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!
C.J.

PREDATAR Control23

Actually the message 4991 tells you when the backup of a database finished succesfully.
And the 4993 tells when it didn't.

So a select on the actlog table with the specific message might do the trick.

Then you can extract the necesary text.

Give it a try and tell us how it goes.

PREDATAR Control23

SELECT nodename, date_time,severity,message from actlog WHERE message LIKE'ANE4991%' and date_time>timestamp(current_date)-(1)days and nodename LIKE 'node name '

this will filter the actlog messages and give you the list of databases backed up using TSM.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi

Hi TSM Boys,

Thanks for the query. Is this table available in SQL server which is under backup?

-------

Please help me to resolve my requirement.

I have circulate the html report for backup on daily basis.

Some of our SQL servers has configured with TSM agents ( TDP and DSM agents) for database and flat file backup (folders). I have to create backup report from the logs available in the SQL servers.

The report should have information as below,
Server name:
Date& Time of backup:
Backed up data size: