Replication question

opeth

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a TSM server, running on windows 2012 R2, replicating to another TSM server on windows. The server itself is set to replicate as well as the nodes backing up to it. When I attempt to run a backup manually of the source server, I get errors. The cad services wont even start. Is this due to replication being turned on for the source server itself?

The client optfile on the source server contains this at the top:

*** The following replication server connection information is automatically updated
*** These options should not be changed manually
REPLSERVERNAME TSMRPLT
REPLTCPSERVERADDRESS XXXX
REPLTCPPORT 1500
REPLSERVERGUID XXXX

MYREPLICATIONServer XXXX
MYPRIMARYServername XXXX
*** end of automatically updated options

If i remove these options, i can start a session and run a backup to the server defined in as the BACKUP server in the optfile ( TCPSERVERADDRESS), but shortly after the info from above is readded and the cad wont start and I am back to not being able to run a client backup.

My question is, if I am replicating the source server as well as its client data, is a "normal" backup nessesary?
How can I get a "normal" backup accomplished and still replicate the source server itself?

The error i get when I start dsmc when the offending data is in the optfile says "replservername is an invalid option" etc etc

The cad services wont even start.
What are the errors in dsmerror.log and dsmwebcl.log?
My question is, if I am replicating the source server as well as its client data, is a "normal" backup nessesary?
I'm not following this. What are you trying to backup where? Do you have a local node for the TSM Server and you are backing it up the the same TSM Server?

How can I get a "normal" backup accomplished and still replicate the source server itself?
You can only replicate nodes, not servers. If you are referring to the backup of the machine hosting the TSM Server, that's still a node, not a server.

Let me rephrase the question:
I am trying to run a backup of my system (node) running TSM that is also running TSM server and a source for replication.
When i try to start dsmc for the NODE:

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc
ANS1036S The option 'REPLSERVERNAME' or the value supplied for it is not valid.
It was found in options file 'dsm.opt'
at line number: 3
The complete entry: 'REPLSERVERNAME XXXX'

ANS1038S Invalid option specified.
ANS1036S The option 'REPLTCPSERVERADDRESS' or the value supplied for it is not v
alid. It was found in options file 'dsm.opt'
at line number: 4
The complete entry: ' REPLTCPSERVERADDRESS XXXXX'

ANS1036S The option 'REPLTCPPORT' or the value supplied for it is not valid. It
was found in options file 'dsm.opt'
at line number: 5
The complete entry: ' REPLTCPPORT 1500'

ANS1036S The option 'REPLSERVERGUID' or the value supplied for it is not valid.
at line number: 6
The complete entry: ' REPLSERVERGUID XXXX
.ad.00.50.56.ab.20.d5'

ANS1036S The option 'MYREPLICATIONSERVER' or the value supplied for it is not va
lid. It was found in options file 'dsm.opt'
at line number: 8
The complete entry: 'MYREPLICATIONServer XXXXX'

ANS1036S The option 'MYPRIMARYSERVERNAME' or the value supplied for it is not va
lid. It was found in options file 'dsm.opt'
at line number: 9
The complete entry: 'MYPRIMARYServername XXXX'

opt file looks like this:

*** The following replication server connection information is automatically updated
*** These options should not be changed manually
REPLSERVERNAME XXXX
REPLTCPSERVERADDRESS XXXXX
REPLTCPPORT 1500
REPLSERVERGUID XXXX

MYREPLICATIONServer XXXX
MYPRIMARYServername XXXXX
*** end of automatically updated options
COMMmethod TCpip
TCPport 1500
TCPCLIENTPORT 1501
TCPSERVERADDRESS WINBAK10
Compressalways No
Compression Off
SKIPMISSINGSYSWFILES YES
*TESTFLAGS SKIPMISSINGSYSWFILES
DOMain ALL-LOCAL
PASSWORDaccess Generate
Errorlogname "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\log\errorlog.log"
Errorlogretention 7
httpport 1589
WEBPorts 1593 1594
Largecommbuffers Yes
Language AMENG
Maxcmdretries 2
Memoryefficientbackup No
Queryschedperiod 6
REPlace Prompt
Changingretries 1
Retryperiod 5
Schedlogname "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\log\schedlog.log"
Schedlogretention 7
SCHEDMODE PROMPTED
Scrolllines 23
Scrollprompt Yes
Skipntpermissions No
Subdir Yes
Tapeprompt No
TCPbuffsize 512
TCPnodelay Yes
TCPwindowsize 63
quiet

MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE
EXCLUDE.DIR "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection"
NODENAME XXXXX

I can delete the options that dsmc complains about, run a backup, but then somehow they are automatically added back. I assume from the target/replication server.
Cant understand why the replication info in the opt file is breaking dsmc

ANS1036S The option 'REPLSERVERNAME' or the value supplied for it is not valid.
at line number: 3
The complete entry: 'REPLSERVERNAME XXXX'
Did you put XXXX in this post to hide the name of your server or was it put like that in the option file? If the latter, that's the problem.

How are your other nodes you are replicating? Do they have the right info in dsm.opt and are they working?

I put the XXXX in there.

The nodes are working, backing up fine, replicating fine....yet i dont see anything replication related in the opt file.
I kind of walked into a already setup replication environment so i am doing a little backwards learning. I just dont understand why I cant run dsmc with those replication settings in the opt file and why / how are they getting rewritten.

The replication info in the option file is so that the client knows where the replication server is in the event that the primary server is down and the client needs to do a restore. It's the info of the replication target.

I dont want automatic failover, not sure how to disable that. If i remove the settings they just come back.

It is older than 7.1 though i just checked. Maybe I need to just upgrade the client

Back