• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

replication and retentions

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Do the same management classes as the source server have to be set up on the target server before replicating nodes? What happens to the retentions, destinations, etc if they haven't been set up on the target and nodes are replicated? Is there a way to correct this on the target after replication, or is there a way to "redo" the replication?

Trident

TSM/Storge dude
ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.basefarm.no
Hi,

There are two modes for replicated data: Similar and dissimilar policies. The storage below can be anything.

As long as you only work on the target system, you can force a re-sync of data from the source . Or you can remove relplication, rename node and start over.

rem replnode node on both systems
ren node node node_old on target
upd node replsta=ena on source
repl node node on source

Once replication is in sync just remove the old node.
del file node_old *

Or you can force various sync's

You can read here:

Look at forcereconsile.

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Great info. If I redo the replication, should I first define all the mgmt classes (and destinations) on the target the same way they are configured on the source? I need to keep the retentions the same.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibm.com
If I redo the replication, should I first define all the mgmt classes (and destinations) on the target the same way they are configured on the source?
No, replication handles that. By default, DISSIMILARPOLICIES is set to OFF, so the policies will be the same (retention is part of policies) on source and target after replication.

And you shouldn't need to reconfigure replication, you just need to run another replication to sync up the policies, assuming DISSIMILARPOLICIES is OFF. If you define or modify policies on the target, replication will overwrite them.

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
That's not the result I got. I tested replicating a node without defining the same mgmt classes on the target. When it finished, all the archives on the target were associated with the default mgmt class (not the original classes from the source). I didn't specify anything with regard to DISSIMILARPOLICIES.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibm.com
You should probably check the activity log for a previous replication to see if there were any issues replicating policies.

Also check QUERY REPLSERVER to double-check if Dissimilar Policies is ON or OFF.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibm.com
Was the target empty before you started, or was already data on it? It's possible it will not replicate a policy domain if that domain already exists with different policies. If that's the case, you'd see messages to that effect in the activity log.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibm.com

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 63 60.6%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 9 8.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbg