replicate archives in cloud container pool

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

We are migrating to a new TSM server and have some archive data that needs to be moved or copied to the new server. We are using cloud container pools on both the source and target, so it looks like we can't export the data. Are there any alternatives? According to IBM, PROTECT STG won't work for cloud containers, but I ran a quick REPLICATE NODE and it seemed to work. Has anyone tried this? We are running v8.1.10.100 on all servers.

PREDATAR Control23

I think node replication is the way to go. When I was migrating from an old server to a new one, replicate node was what I was using for some of my larger clients. Granted, this was before all the cool stuff directory or cloud containers.

Just make sure it finishes successfully.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the reply RecoveryOne. I've run exports many times before, but very new to replication. We need to copy some old archive data for nodes that are already doing new backups/archives to the target server. Do you know if replication will work for this? Does it overwrite any existing node data on the target server? Also, does replication preserve all the same mgmt class & retention info as defined on the source?

PREDATAR Control23

Hrm, then again, maybe export node is the correct way. Cause with replication you will have to do some other magic I think. Blah, sorry wrote the above when I didn't yet have enough coffee in my system. Sorry. My fault.

Export node exports the node definition and all the data associated with that node from server a to server b. Then when export is done, you point the node to server b. Ideally before its next backup.

Export's can be stopped and restarted as needed.

disregard what i posted above. I'd try export first.

PREDATAR Control23

Do you know if replication will work for this?
Yes
Does it overwrite any existing node data on the target server?
No, for every object it replicates, it looks if it exists on the target, if yes then it skips it, if not it replicates it.

Also, does replication preserve all the same mgmt class & retention info as defined on the source?
Yes as long as dissimilar policies is not enabled, it's disabled by default.

PREDATAR Control23

Not in this particular case because of container pools, export only works with legacy pools.
Ahh that's right.
Sorry, coffee kicked in and I was second guessing myself.

Thanks marclant!

PREDATAR Control23

IBM doc on REPLICATE NODE says the following:
"Files that are no longer stored on the source replication server, but that exist on the target replication server, are deleted during this process."

If I'm reading this correctly, existing files on the target may not be overwritten, but they will be deleted if they are not on the source server. So we will need to make sure no archives exist on the target when we do our 1x replication (or they will be lost).

Does this sound correct? Just need a sanity check.

PREDATAR Control23

It's correct, but not to the extreme you are thinking.

If you use forcereconcile=no (the default), the source server tracks what it has replicated to the target. So
Day1 you replicate, the source copies everything it has to the target for that node
Day2, some files on the source have expired and no longer exists, the source keeps tracks of those, you replicate and it will delete those from the target.
Specifies that replication processing does not
force a reconcile to compare all files on the
source replication server with files on the
target replication server. Instead, replication
processing tracks file changes on the source
replication server since the last replication
and synchronizes these changes on the target
replication server. NO is the default value

If however you use forcereconcile=yes, then yes it will do a full comparison and delete stuff on the target that doesn't exist on the source.

PREDATAR Control23

Ok, so it sounds like replication may work for us (as long as we use the default for forcereconcile). Good info. Thanks Marclant!