Replace DataDomain

pirath

Newcomer
Reaction score
hello all,
I have DD670 attached as NFS onto my AIX6.1 for dedup storage pool. Time is coming to replace the unit and I want to know what are other competitive solutions out there that I can consider. Any insight is helpful. No dedup on the TSM side but only on the DD side at the moment.

What TSM version are you running? Version 7.1.5 does dedup better and may be a good way to get rid of expensive Data Domain hardware. Install JBOD (if you still prefer devclass=file) as TSM's back end and you can have dedup from TSM instead off Data Domain.

If you rather not use dedup on TSM, Data Domain may be hard to replace. The dedup ratio is almost next to nothing which gives you bang for your buck. A new company from Massachusetts called Exagrid might be worth your while looking into.

I have v7.1.1. What's are the changes I would need to make to make my environment use dedup? Put in SSD?

Rough cost of using JBOD vs DD? I can get a DD2500 for 57K with 36TB RAW (3 yr support included).... you think I can put in JBOD and come under and still get comparable performance?

Back