Removing Policy Domain & copygroup vs backed up data

TiborB

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am "renaming" Policy domain, so I have created new policy domain and copygroup and need to get rid of old policy domain and related copygroups.

We are backing up the same data.

So I wonder what consequences will this have on stored data, especially in regard to retention policy.

Thanks

Hi,

As soon as the management class name in the new policy domain are exactly the same with the old one, the backup object (data) will tag with the new retention under the new domain that the node name belongs to.

As soon as the management class name in the new policy domain are exactly the same .....

This is not the case, management class name also differs. We have here unofficial naming conventions that imply this.

I can create new management classes with old name within the new policy domain, but at the end this is only a bit better solution then preserving old policy domain and everything.

I was thinking about some kind of reallocation of data to new domain and everything...

There will be 2 scenarios:

For objects that have an active version, meaning they still exist on the client, during the next incremental, they will rebind to their new management class.

For objects that do not have an active version, meaning it's deleted on the client, but have not yet expired. It will keep using the same management class if it exists, if it does not exist, it will default to the default management class.

For objects that have an active version, meaning they still exist on the client, during the next incremental, they will rebind to their new management class.

This sound satisfactory

For objects that do not have an active version, meaning it's deleted on the client, but have not yet expired. It will keep using the same management class if it exists, if it does not exist, it will default to the default management class.

What is that "default management class"? I am planning to delete also Policy domain, can I do this, or not?

When you issue QUERY MGMTCLASS, the 4th column is Default Management Class and will have a value of YES next to the default and NO to the others. You can find a sample output here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...rv.ref.doc/r_cmd_mgmtclass_query.html?lang=en

You can only delete the domain after you changed all the nodes to the new domain. You just need to make sure that the default management class in the new domain has a retention that will satisfy your needs if the original management class does not exist in the new domain.

If a default management class does not have a backup or archive copy group, then it will default to the backup or archive retention of the domain (Q DOMAIN F=D).

Guys,

now old policy domains are deleted, thanks for help and explanation!

Back