Remove / Rename TSM node client

mysyoul

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Since i'm newbi in the system, i would like to know the best practise to do below,

1 ) Remove the client from TSM system, it is simple as delete/remove the node, or i should consider a few before delete it?
2 ) also when we plan to rename the node?

In my mind, how about the backup data that already done before. If remove the node did i have to remove it also from the backup data in stgpool or tapepool (to reduce the space).

advance thank your help

1. It can easily be as simple as removing the node.
2. I can't think of a way to associate the backup/archive data with a new node name. I've never renamed a node and wanted to save it's old backup data.

Removing the node will ask you if you want to delete the filespace associated with the node. If you choose yes then all data for that node is going to be deleted at next expiration.

Last edited:
OK - I need to understand something here - are you in a situation where you simply want to rename the node rather than delete it and start over?
Keep in mind if you delete the node you have to remove all the filespace data - meaning all previous backups. If you are not concerned with this then feel free.
But if you need to change the node name of the client - simply rename it - all data will remain and you're good to go.

Please clarify on your intentions

Sgabriel,
actually the situation like this, we have node01 & node02
1 ) we plan to discontinue for node01 - take out from tsm server.
2 ) node02 - we decided rename to node03 but we still want to use all data/tsm configuration (such as schedule, backup data) that we already perform since previous (node02).

another thing, TSM will prefered which IPaddress or nodename(hostname)?

tq

Then do

del filespaces node1 * (this removes all backup data for node1)
remove node node1

rename node node2 node3 (this renames the node, but it keeps all the data)
(you'll need to logon to node2/3 and edit the dsm.opt/dsm.sys file etc and restart the scheduler to rename it on that side too).

Back