Reinstall OS (Windows) and TSM without DB restore?

FloXXI

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,

we are running TSM 7.1.3 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine. We would like to upgrade to TSM 8.1 and therefor neet to upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2 first to stay supported.

The windows installation, tsm database, tsm logs and tsm volumes are all on seperate hard disk volumes. I was just wondering, if there is an easier way to restore my tsm instance after a fresh installation of windows than doing a restore of the database? The migration guides I found just mention backup and restore or extract and insert of a db. Since all my data is still in place, I was wondering, if I could create a new instance and simply "attach" my existing database?
Doing a restore of our 500 GB database would take some extra downtime I would like to avoid, if possible.

Any help is appreciated!

PREDATAR Control23

You will need to restore the DB, but will not need to restore the storage. All your storage pool definitions will be the same.

It's because the DB volumes is one thing, but it's not everything. There are configuration settings that DB2 has for the instance and stored in a mix of files and the registry.