Reduce Size of Container stgpool

PhilippK

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi guys,

a while ago we moved almost all our backups to Veeam Backup,
but we are still running some TSM servers (for archive reasons).

The particular server I am talking about is running version 7.1.6.
We were using container stgpools once it was released and were happy with it,
but now, since almost all data is expired in TSM, the directory stgpool won't shrink.

Now we have a 14 TB Pool which is 5.7% used and I really could use the diskspace for something else.
We still need the pool and the current backups in it, but the total size of 14TB should be reduced to, for example, 4 TB.

Storage Device Storage Estimated Pct
Pool Name Class Name Type Capacity Util
----------- ---------- --------- ---------- -----
APPC DIRECTORY 14,089 G 5.7

I set all container directories to read-only except one because I was hoping with expiration the containers will be removed over time.
Re-Use delay is set to 0 for a while now, too

I also tried to move containers but it will always create a new container on the new disk, which means the overall size does not change.

I read about the move container command with defrag=yes which is not available in 7.1.6.

So, any chance to achieve my goal without updating tsm ??
And if I do the update, is the move container defrag=yes option the only choice?

Once I read about a "reduce containerpool" command but cannot find it anymore...

thanks for your help,
regards,
Philipp

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you!! That is exactly the article I was referring to but couldnt find it again :)
RESET CONTAINERSIZE was what I remembered as reduce containerpool..

At the top is written: Starting with Spectrum Protect v8.1

But thank you so much! :)
I will try this in my lab environment...

PREDATAR Control23

Do not use NOMOVEPREALLOC, it won't reduce the size of the containers (neither the RESET CONTAINERSIZE) on current versions of TSM/SP, and I got data corruption during move container with this option enabled.

PREDATAR Control23

The correct way is to reduce the thresholds from the default values and wait for the automatic move to clear the data, for example:
DEFRAGCNTRTRIGGER 50 (default is 90)
DEFRAGFSTRIGGER 50 (default is 95)