Reduce number of copy-container tapes in offsite

Nodirbek

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

TSM server version 8.1.6 is keeping 27 tapes in Offsite and not reclaiming some of them at all.

Please find attached q vol output and advise what command to run to reduce them.

What I have noticed that some tapes Estimated Capacity is 13.642 T and Pct Util is 0.001 or 0 and status is filling. However they are still kept in Offsite. tapes with status empty are showing in tape report to tape in.

Should I change some settings in stgpools, please check attached details.

regards,
Nodirbek

Attachments

• Q VOL.JPG
    Q VOL.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Tape report scripts.JPG
    Tape report scripts.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 2
  • stgpool PR_DEDUPPOOL.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 2
  • stgpool DEDUP_COPY.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
If reclamation is running, no worries. Just let TSM do its job.

If reclamation IS NOT running, then either trigger it, look at system settings to have this enabled, or define a reclaim job.

Reclamation is based on "Percent reclaimable", not "Percent utilized". A volume with a low utilization and filling can still be written to, assuming it's checked in and not offsite. Also, 0.000% utilized doesn't mean 0, it means less than 0.0005%. It's only empty if the status is empty.

On the copy container stgpool, what's the "reclaim" and "reclaimlimit" set at?
On your protect stgpool command, what value for "reclaim" do you use?

There's also an APAR after your release, not sure if it applies to you:
IT28671: "PROTECT STGPOOL" COMMAND DOES NOT RECLAIM OFFSITE TAPE IN A CONTAINER POOL

hi Marclant,

Could you please check attached stgpool settings and advise for reclaim and relaimlimit.

I have attached the scripts including the protect stgpool command

protect stgpool pr_Deduppool type=local wait=yes

I need fix to reduce copy container tapes in offsite without upgrading the TSM version.

I found some errors today and this was happening before as well. (staging pool error.jpg)

Attachments

• scripts.JPG
    scripts.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 2
  • staging pool error.JPG
    staging pool error.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi. Sorry, but I don’t download attachments from unknown sources in a public forum.

RECLAIM is the reclamation threshold, around 50% is good, but that depends how aggressively you need to reclaim.

RECLAIMLIMIT, is the limit of how many tapes it will reclaim in one run. Default is unlimited. You’d only use this if you have a limited window to reclaim.

More info in HELP UPDATE STGPOOL

The message you highlighted is not the error, but a result of one or many errors. Walk the activity log backwards for other errors from this process.

Back