recreate volume name

sergio527

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I've problem with a disk with the TSM 5.3 storage pool volumes after Windows problems (CHKDSK /recovery).
I've recreated the files but their names are not correct (the CHKDSK renamed them).

My question: is the volume name included in some internal structure (metadata) in the volume file?
If yes, then I could try to write a program to rename the files using this information.

I'm not sure but I think it is. I've created for years some small volumes to have a look at content
and I think there were not only pure backup data but also some meta information.

Best Regards,
Sergio

I'm not sure I understand the question. But whatever file volumes you see in Q VOLUME, those exact filenames must exist. And yes there would be metadata at the start of the volume so that the server knows it's the right volume. However, I don't think it's in human readable format. You'll see if you try to read one.

And is 5.3 a typo? If not, that's an antique and should be in a museum, not used to protect business critical data.

the question is: is the volume name included in the content of a file which is a volume of the disk storage pool?

My TSM is not working at the moment so I can't check it. If you like to answer my question, please create a disk storage pool with a small volume size, create one volume and have a look, if its file name is included in the content of the volume.

For example if volume and file name is 00001a4f.bsf the question is if this string is in the content of this volume.

For example if volume and file name is 00001a4f.bsf the question is if this string is in the content of this volume.
Yes it is, TSM validates it when opening the volume. However, I don't know if it's human readable. I checked on my server and the content is not human readable, but my version is several years newer than yours, so things might have changed.

Just try to open one with a text editor and see.

Back