Recovery from copypools?

lavero

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hi!!!

We have tsm in z/os.
We have defined primary pools and copypools.
When there aren`t access to primary volumes because has failed the physical tape library , how is the recovery process of one file? It is possible to do recovery from copypools?
It is necessary DRM?

thanks

It is not necessary to restore the entire site to recover one file - you could restore the database, find out which (primary) volume holds your one file, and restore that volume. But AFAIK you cannot restore user data directly from copypools.

Lavero if your primary volumes are temporarily unavailable due to the library failing you can restore from the copypool volumes no worries.
It may do it automatically, or try doing "upd stgpool <primstgpool> access=unavail" while the primary library is dead. You don't need to do anything with DRM unless you need to bring some copypool media back from offsite.

I learned something new.

Did a small test - works as advertised. Nice.

Yes, when you have your primary STGs unavailable or destroyed u can restore from the Copy STGs without doing any change to the TSM configuration!!!

But, can you backup files to STG that is unavailable??

Last edited:
You are correct you can't ba stg to a stgpool that is unavailable. But the original poster was saying he wanted to do this when the library was dead, in which case it doesn't matter if the stgpool is unavailable or not.

Yes, when you have your primary STGs unavailable or destroyed u can restore from the Copy STGs without doing any change to the TSM configuration!!!

But, can you backup files to STG that is unavailable??

Yes you are right BBB.

I was thinking in a "Planned Disaster Recovery Trial", where you can

Yes you are right BBB.

But I was thinking in a "Planned Disaster Recovery Trial", where you can restore from the copy STGs. And you also want to backup daily to your backup library until the primary library is repaired.

How could you manage this situation? Has sb think in this type of situation??

Thanks in advance,

David.

I am not sure if you can backup to your offsite volumes? Good question

In our DR exercise we recovered all servers from our copy pools and the after they were restore then we restored our onsite pools from our offsite and then sent the offsite back offsite.

As far as backing up the systems you just restored TSM should still see the inventory references and continue to back them up as long as storage is available.

Thanks for all...

when your primary pool is unavailable temporarily because your library is dead, It's possible to mark as unavailable the storage pool volumes instead the storage pool?
This way, you can make "backup stg" ...

Back