Recovering Legacy Exchange 2003 files from tapes

roks

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

New here and new to Networker, so pls dont shoot me down if something looks simple to you. Thanks.:)

System Details:
Networker 7.3 SP4
Windows 2003 Server Std SP2
HP ESL 9000 Tape Library.

Recently we upgraded to Exchange 2007 and decommisioned the old Exchange 2003 servers, removed from AD and switched off. When users started logging calls for restore, I am left with the problem to recover data.

Projects people never really thought about users requesting old data. As the servers have been removed from AD and exchange, networker is not able to restore. The savesets are there but I just dont know how to extract the edb files off of the tapes.

So I came up with a idea of setting up a VMware test environment, isolated from the production network. I replicated the old exchange environment, install the exchange plugin for networker and attached a single tape drive to the exchange recovery server. I then copied the 'res' and 'mm' folders from the live networker server and indexes for the 3 exchange servers.

I can now see the databases for each storage group but I have the following problem.

1. When I click on 'Required Volumes' the list is empty, so
2. When I Browse date, i can only see last 3 months, any thing after, there is no index.

I have checked and found that reason for the 2nd issue, the 'browse policy' settings in the live server is set to 3 months. But I can see the savesets are there for several years.

Its been several months now and all indexes for the exchange servers have been deleted on the live backup server.

Please could you guys help me with this problem, I just need to be able to extract the EDB files off of the tapes.

Thanks in advance.

Back