recover old set of tapes with no volhist file

jaberle

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was given a crate of tapes and asked to re-configure an old TSM server environment. The only thing that I know, is that there are database tapes in the group. Unfortunately there is no volhist or devconfig files. Is there anyway to re-build the TSM environment?

thanks for the help,

Jonathan

The devconfig file you can manually create one. You may want to verify this by looking at the Administrator Guide, its been some time that I created a devconfig file manually.

If the volhist file is not available you can still restore the database if you happen to know the name of the volumes where the data base is stored.

The syntax would be something like this:

DSMSERV RESTORE DB DEVCLASS=<device class> VOLUMENAMES=<volume name> or

-FILE:<file name> COMMIT=YES

If you do not know what the volume name is.

I am not sure if this is going to work with out the volhist file.

DSMSERV RESTORE DB PREVIEW=YES

I have gotten the database voilume names this way before, but my volhist was available.

Sias

without a volhist file it's a little more difficult. you'll probably have to do:

dsmserv display dbbackupvol <devclass> vol=<volume name>

and go through each tape you've gotten. the first db volume you find you'll probably want to restore your server with that. then at least you can do a q v and find which volumes have data on them. that will eliminate the number of tapes you'll have to go through to find the most current db backup.

best of luck!

Back