Reclamation of Offsite Volumes

rtiebout

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
The reclamation for our offsite volumes can be slow, since it has to find the files to be moved from the onsite tapes.
Can I take the tapes to be reclaimed and put them back in the LTO and mark them as read/write? that way reclamation would just copy the data off that tape, instead of finding it in the local tapepool, to another and mark it for scratch?
If this won't work, is there another way to speed up the reclamation of a copypool with tapes offsite?

If the tapes for offsite are onsite then where is the protection if the local site went belly up? (i.e. fire, theft, any act of God)

i'm only talking about moving tapes that are going to be reclaimed, not all of my offsite tapes.

so if i put them in the lto and update their access to read/write from offsite, tsm will see it and use it?
Also, is there anything that i also have to update with regards to the drm for those offsite tapes?

Last edited:
Hi
Well, As ChadSmall said, even if you need only one offsite tape to reclaim and you bring it onsite, you are no longer protected. Unless you know what data is in that specific tape and you can afford to loose it (collocation may help here).

To speed up the reclamation, use parallel reclaiming (upd stgpool <mypool> reclaimprocess=xx). But keep in mind:

When calculating the value for this parameter, consider the number of
sequential storage pools that will be involved with the reclamation and
the number of logical and physical drives that can be dedicated to the
operation. To access a sequential access volume, Tivoli Storage Manager
uses a mount point and, if the device type is not FILE, a physical
drive. The number of available mount points and drives depends on other
Tivoli Storage Manager and system activity and on the mount limits of
the device classes for the sequential access storage pools that are
involved in the reclamation.

Rudy

Back