Reclaimable tape not reclaiming, not empty, but no content

gregleibel

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a strange problem. I have a copypool tape that should be reclaimable. When I try to reclaim it, TSM (4.2.1.11) tells me that there is nothing to reclaim. If I bring it onsite and check it into the library, it goes to filling state. If I try to move data, TSM says it's empty, q content says that there's no data on it, although q vol f=d says that it's 0.2% utilised, 19.3% reclaimable and filling. Where is the data? How can I make this a scratch tape?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Greg

Sounds like a mismatch between the tape and the database record. If I were you I would do an 'AUDIT volume FIX=YES' and see where you are after that has run. If you still have problems you could 'DELETE volume DISCARDDATA=YES' if you are confident there is no valid data on the tape. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much. The audit vol xxxxxx fix=yes worked like a charm. I'm embarrassed not to have thought of it myself!

I have the same problem. But an audit doesn't fix it. Is it possible that the only content on the tape is a file that was spanned from another tape that became full?

Did you try "move data" for that tape? If a file is split into two tapes, this command will move the two parts to one tape.

Thanks

When a copypool volume is reclaimed, or it's contents expires, it becomes empty and is placed in a "PENDING" state. It remains in a PENDING state until the "Delay Period for Volume Reuse" has expired. When it expires it is changed to the "VAULTRETREIVE" state. While it is in the 'PENDING' state a volume is indeed empty and not reclaimable.

To determine your "Delay Period for Volume Reuse" value use the command:

q stg copypool f=d

To view volumes in the 'PENDING' state use the command:

select VOLUME_NAME,STGPOOL_NAME,STATUS from volumes where status='PENDING'

Back