Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
http
A little info about our setup:
TSM Server 5.5.1.0
New TS3310 with 4 x LTO4 FC drives
DS4300 for disc storage

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish (if its a bad idea, let me know)
I'd like to have a storage pool that only uses the WORM media.

Here's what I've done:
I've checked in 5 regular LTO4 and 1 LTO4 WORM tape. TSM shows this tape as "scratch(WORM)". The others are just "scratch". I've done a lot of reading and see that you have to create a seperate device class for WORM. So that I've done and created another storage pool to use that device class.

So I have 1 library. 1 library path and 4 tape paths all online.
I have 2 device clases that point to that physical library, 1 of which is WORM=YES.
I have a storage pool set to each of the above device classes.

Questions:
Will TSM automatically only use WORM media for the storagepool assigned to the WORM=YES device class?
Will it know not to use WORM media for the normal StoragePool that is not set to WORM?

I've read where you can setup two Libraries, each using the same paths and then you can checkin the tapes per library, normal to one and WORM to the other. Will that work?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

In your case, you are saying it is the tapes that are the WORM devices, not the drive, correct? I believe in this case you wouldn't use a WORM device class, but rather define a storage pool specific to the WORM media (as you have done) and specifically define the WORM media to that storage pool.

I haven't used WORM devices personally, but have worked a lot with devices, so this is an educated guess.

Sorta, the tapes are WORM tapes. The drives are WORM capable so they should be able to do both, WORM and normal tapes.

To "specifically define the WORM media to that storage pool" would I have to make the tapes "private" to the storage pool I've set up for WORM? These WORM tapes aren't going to be messed with often, just to archive image data from X-rays and Medical Records. If I can get this down where I know we aren't going to write the wrong data on the wrong tapes, then I'm set.

Thanks
Mike

Since it is a WORM tape, you'd want to define it to a storage pool. It'd never become scratch again so this isn't an issue.

Define the pool, and then the worm tape to the pool and use the library as normal. Only things that would write to that pool would be management classes that are defined to write to it.

-Aaron

defining worked

I defined the volumes as you suggested and that appears to have worked. They are now listed as private and in use by the WORM storage pool. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Back