Quesion in my mind

tsmlover

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have one question in my mind and i have been wondering to know the reason ?

Why we cant offsite Primary storage pool's Tapes ? for restoration data on different tsm server

- I have one tape of primary pool and TSM full database backup cant i restore data on a different TSM Server using that 2 tapes?

once the restoration done I'll get back that tape on my original tsm server what you say ?

My second question is :
using a Management console when i format and label the tape why TSM eject the tape everytime :) on single tape drive.

My third question is:
I want to remove the information of volume mt0001 from tsm database, I used this tape for dbbackup 2 days back now again i want to use this tape, i remove the entry manually from volhist.out file but when i execute this comand "q volhist type=dbbackup" it display mt0001 information ... i want to give different label and formate the tape for different backups what should i do ?

Last edited:
To answer your first question, I think you can. See MOVE MEDIA, which takes primary pool tapes out of the library. It's a big place, <not in lib>. :) If you move a database backup as well, I think you can use that to restore data on a different TSM Server (which will think it's the same TSM Server, of course). (Be sure to set the R/O tab on the tape. You don't want to accidentally change the tape in the DR environment.)

Second q: if you don't have a library, it's not that useful to keep it mounted after labelling. If TSM wants it, it'll ask for it. Why do bears sh!t in the woods?

Third q: so you did not DEL VOLHIST? volhist.out is written rather than read by TSM, I think, I should think the actual info is in the database. .. check .. yep, look in the VOLHISTORY table. You can't delete the last dbbackup entry from volhist until you specify DEL VOLHIST TYPE=<dbsomething> FORCE=YES. In practice, just relabel the volume with overwrite=y.

Last edited:
If you want to restore the data to a second live tsm server, you have to use export/import. You can't read a TSM tape without the TSM database. This why redundantly it is redundant to redundantly incrept tapes on TSM ;p

Now, you sure you only want to keep only ONE copy of TSM db backups??!?!

I take it you're not using DRM? If so, Johan's response to your third q would have to be modified.

If you have outstanding requests in the mount queue you can add the [FONT=&quot]SEARCHMPQUEUE option the dsmserv.sys. This will force the TSM server to look through the queue and serve the request for that tape before ejecting. I doubt it will help you to much if you don't have a library, but it could help someone with a low number of tape drives.
[/FONT]

Back