Query vm doesn't return all VMs being backed up.

SimonMillard

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
When I issue a query vm command in dsmc I only get details of two VMs returned (we are only VMware) but we are backing up 130 VMs (restores have been tested successfully).

The strange thing is that the two VMs listed have old backup dates going back to when IBM installed the product (V7.1.1).

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Are you sure you are using the right option file or node? You'd see in the header of the output which node you are connected as.

You could also try: "query filespace" to see if they exist.

Yes, I am using the correct option file. The dsmsched and dsmerror log files specified in the option file are the ones that i'm seeing the backups running in.

I can also see the correct node listed in the header of dsmc.

If I run a 'query filespace' on the datamover then I can only see the two Vms listed in 'query vm'. If I run the same command on the TSM server itself I can see all the VMs being backed up, but the 'query vm' command returns an 'ANR2000E Unknown command' error on the TSM server.

In the dsm.opt, is the value for ASNODE the same as the node listed in QUERY FILESPACE on the TSM Server?

Yes it is.
Should I be able to run a query vm on the TSM server? I can only run that command on the VMware data mover.

Fixed it. I was looking through the query filespace output and noticed that the two VM backups I can see in the query vm command are shown with the NODE NAME 'ABCDEF_DM' whereas all the other VM backups have the NODE NAME 'ABCDEF'.

The ASNODE entry is in the vanilla dsm.opt file but not in the dsm.VM_ABCDEF_DM.opt.

I've put the ASNODE entry in the dsm.VM_ABCDEF_DM.opt file, restarted the Windows service and can now see the correct VMs.

Many thanks for all your assistance

Back