PVUs and Licensing

jaguar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
How to calculate PVUs and licensing puposals according to hardware requirment?

This is an issue you have to talk with your IBM sales rep. Too complicated to be handled outside of the IBM sales force.

There is no other way to know exact cost except through your rep.

Last edited:
PVU Calculations

PVU calculations are simple. Each core of of a processor is assigned a certain number of value units. Each processor has a certain number of cores. If it doesn't have multiple cores then it's still considered one core. So to calculate PVUs:

PVUs= Processors x (number of cores/processor) x core value units

So for example a machine with 2 dual core processors of the x86 variety would look like this:

PVUs= 2 Processors x ( 2 cores/processor) x 50 core value units = 2 x 2 x 50 = 200

Since each processor type has a different core value unit assigned you have to look them up:

https://www-112.ibm.com/software/howtobuy/passportadvantage/valueunitcalculator/vucalc.wss

What have to watch for in the above calculator is that it assumes you've done the processor x the number of cores/processor step and that you enter the number of cores not processors.

Ken,

I beg to disagree that it is really a simple thing.

We have been going back and forth with IBM and we never hit it right on the mark each time - more specially with regrads to licensing costs.

It was best for us to sit down with IBM and go over the licensing cost and PVU in detail than figuring it out by ourselves.

I have to agree with Moon on this one, last year we switched from SQL (no we did not use TDPS at that time) to Oracle. We are now using TDPO, and I had to get IBM on the phone to calculate what we needed for PVUS, it was not quite as simple as KB said, but close. Another complication is virtual environments - we have several test and dev databases virtualized. WWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE fun

It WOULD be simple if it weren't for the universal practice of secretive pricing. Nobody will ever tell you what a product costs. First they have to know how much you can afford to pay, how much you've bought in the past, how much you're likely to buy in the future, what competitors you're looking at, what prices those competitors are charging, etc..
It's kind of like the mechanic 100 miles from the nearest town, who, when you ask what you owe him for his services, asks "how much you got?".

HI all

One more thig to keep in mind with PVU's, at renewal time you/your company will receive a renewal bill for qty Y PVU's. Unless you have been keeping awesome records you will have to go through the hardware audit and sit down with Tivoli and figure out the price tango each year.

I wish for the old days when the pricing was simple, you have x clients, you pay $z price. The current system of PVU's stinks and I hate it!!!

I case you cannot tell, I'm a big beliver in the KISS principle,
Andy.

Back