Protecting Directory stgpools

Teet

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello.

IBM documentation has left me a little bit confused about the difference of on-site container-copy stgpool and off-site container-copy stgpool - what's the difference?

Our plan is to implement node replication with off-site container-copy stgpool, we have only one source directory-container stgpool. As I've read- node replication should be able to work together with off-site container-copy stgpool but not with on-site container-copy stgpool.

What would be the commands to use to set up specifically off-site directory-copy stgpool which was mentioned to work with node replication?
Also about off-site directory-copy stgpool tape rotation- since we're not using DRM, can we simply use protect stgpool command for example once a week and simply check-out the tapes to an offsite location and the next week check-in the tapes again, run the protect stgpool command again and repeat with check-out?

Thanks In Advance.

Teet Saar.

Typically, you protect your directory container pool in one of two ways:
1 - remotely: protect + node replication, this implies a 2nd server at a remote location
2 - locally: protect the pool to tape, then send the tapes offsite, this implies there is only 1 server, so you can't replicate because you have nowhere to replicate to.

Looks like you want to use option 1. I guess nothing stops you from using both options simultaneously, so you would have 3 copies of the data, the primary, the replica and the tape copy.

Hello again, the more specific question would be- can I use local (on the same server) container-copy stgpools and node replication together?

Thanks In Advance.

Teet Saar.

Back