Protectier cartridges size

BadBackup

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

We are having some problems with protectier PT_TS7620, we are now creating new cartbridges.
Normally when we create new cartridges the normal size is 80GB, But now when we create new cartridges the size is 30GB.
I attached 2 pictures, one is the normall size for us 77GB, and the other is the bad size 26GB.
This is a problem because to backup the same space we need the double number of tapes cartridges.

Some one knows the reasons why the cartridges size is now small.

Thank you

Attachments

• size26GB.PNG
    size26GB.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 1
  • size70GB.PNG
    size70GB.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 1
I think that that's the size that ProtectTIER calculate based on the free physical space and the number of the requested cartridges.

I think that that's the size that ProtectTIER calculate based on the free physical space and the number of the requested cartridges.

Hello Rigido,

Is this the only way to grow the size of the cartridges is to get more free space on the protectier?

There are any method/procedure to free space on the protectier?

Thank you,
Bert regards

11.Click Next. The Cartridges window opens (Figure 4-7). In the No. of cartridges field,
enter the number of cartridges that you want to have in the library.
By default, ProtecTIER calculates a virtual cartridge size, but it does not use only the
current nominal allocable space. Instead, ProtecTIER makes an internal projection for the
allocable space that takes into account the current factoring ratio, the current percentage
of used disk space, the expected factoring ratio, and the current percentage of free
disk space.
The Virtual cartridge size shown on the Cartridges window (Figure 4-7) is calculated by
dividing the Adjusted Nominal Allocable Space by the total number of cartridges that will
exist on the repository. That is, all existent cartridges plus the ones that will be created for
this library.

"IBM ProtecTIER Implementation and Best Practices Guide" RedBook, page 57

Hello Rigido,

Thank you very much for the information.

Back