PROTECT STGPOOL for a set period of time ?

DavrosDalek

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Basically our backend storage isn't fast enough, it's maxed out during busy periods, mainly at night, to deal with normal node backups and running protect stgpool.

So until we replace that i am looking for a way to run PROTECT STGPOOL and then REPLicate Node for a period of time rather until it completes. I have tried dur=60 to make it run for an hour as a test but duration isn't supported in the command.

The plan, in my head, is to run both of these aggressively during the day with between 20-50 sessions then restart in the evening back to 5 or so sessions so all my backups don't fail overnight.

I know i need to replace the backend storage but that's not going to happen right away.

My other plan is to reduce the number of nodes that are replicated but that's not ideal either.

Any suggestions, ?

Craig

The plan, in my head, is to run both of these aggressively during the day with between 20-50 sessions then restart in the evening back to 5 or so sessions so all my backups don't fail overnight.
The issue with that is that every time you start protect stgpool, it has to scan all the containers that were written to since the last protect storage pool completed. It will only send the the target what has not previously been sent, but that's determined with the scan. So if you never let it complete, after a few weeks the scan will take considerably longer to run. You can use Q STG F=D to see when's the last time protect ran to completion, look for: Date of Last Protection to Remote Pool. The replicate node is less impacted, but it still have to redo some scanning every time it's started.

It's best to let it run to completion at least some of the times, I wouldn't go more than a week or to before letting it run to completion.

If you still want to go that route, you can do it is schedule protect and replicate (one schedule for each) and use the MAXRUNtime option to specify how long it runs. You have to schedule the protect and replicate commands, not schedule a script that starts those for it to work.

Back