Processes dealing with LTO tapes freeze and I can't figure out why

mosiac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've been running into an issue the past couple of days where jobs that move data to tape such as migrations or backups will start but then freeze for days at a time. This has just happned and we haven't made any changes to our environment other than windows updates for the TSM server.

I've gone ahead and restarted our tape library and our tivoli server.

I've checked the activity long but I'm not seeing anything related to the jobs freezing and they only show errors after I cancel them after running for 24 hours (jobs that usually only take a couple of hours).

I've checked the paths of all the drives to make sure they are all online while jobs are running and everything looks alright.

I'm out of regular ideas and I won't be able to contact IBM until Monday due to our support contract so I'm just looking for some things I can look at to help determine what might be causing this issue.

Thanks as always

You can also run commands like show damaged storage_pool_name to see if there are errors on tapes or disk.

I did not know about this command thanks.

Well monitoring after rebooting our tape library and server seems to have cleared up whatever was hanging up. I'm still going to look over the drives to see if there are any errors though.

Back