Problem backing up Windows Server 2016 with IBM Spectrum Protect Backup/Archive client 8.1.0

SpecialK

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else hit a problem when trying to backup a Windows Server 2016 (Datacenter edition) using the latest IBM Spectrum Protect Backup/Archive client 8.1?

I get the information message "ANS0361I" and the error message "ANS6718E" and backup fails. The error message is "The path contains too many nested subdirectories. The maximum number of nested directories is 1400".

The "path" is

'\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\0ed885b0f88686c2cdec2c047a9c5495'

Determine whether the directory is valid. Directory structures of this depth are not typical, and could indicate a problem with the file system structure. An example of such a directory is if the directory is cyclical. If the directory is not valid, remove or repair the directory, then try the operation again. If the directory is valid, reduce the depth of the directory structure. Then try the operation again. Alternatively you can use an EXCLUDE.DIR statement to exclude the directory from backup or archive processing. Then try the operation again.
source: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/client.msgs/ANS6718E.html

Given it happened during the systemstate and it's part of the snapshot, the actual path would be: 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\0ed885b0f88686c2cdec2c047a9c5495' So check that directory, see if you can browse it. Also check the Event Viewer for indications of problems with that path.

Also, was this a one time error or does it happen all the time?

I also saw this problem initially with our Windows 2016 test servers. However after some Windows updates the problem seems to have vanished.

Also seeing it on Windows 10 x64 desktop machies with the 8.1.0 client.

source: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/client.msgs/ANS6718E.html

Given it happened during the systemstate and it's part of the snapshot, the actual path would be: 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\0ed885b0f88686c2cdec2c047a9c5495' So check that directory, see if you can browse it. Also check the Event Viewer for indications of problems with that path.

Also, was this a one time error or does it happen all the time?

It happens every time. The folder is browseable in file explorer. The problem "goes away", when further updates are installed by Windows.

We had the same problem plain vanilla SP v8.1 on Win 2012, and found on the internet a suggestion to use this testflag:

TESTFLAGS threadstacksize:2048

AFter that it worked again.

I am having this issue on Windows2012 and 2016 clients as the backup assesses the WINSXS (Side-by-Side) folder.
Can anyone provide information on the MS update that supposedly addesses the problem ?
TIA

-Rick

I don't see an answer/reply to this thread, so here it is: 8.1.0.2 fixes this. We started seeing it with Linux boxes first and yes, the TESTFLAGS threadstacksize:2048 works.

You guys are all geniuses! I just stumbled on to this problems and into this solution in this forum. Been looking for the answer for days! Thanks!

Back