Premigrate everything...

gtiwizard

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm trying to pre-migrate everything on my HSM filesystem, and i can't seem to get the data to move. Our desire is to pre-migrate everything, and keep as much on disk as possible. I must pre-migrate, as the application that utilizes HSM is watching for a "P" in the DSMLS command. If it never sees a "P"(or an "M"), it assumes that the data isn't "protected". This isn't true, as it's backed up via TSM every night regardless of its migration status. i'd just migrate everything, but then every file request requres a recall.

my basic process is this:

TSM client schedule runs a backup at 10:00pm each night. The postschedcommand is "dsmautomig". DSMAUTOMIG runs great, but it says there's nothing to migrate. Now this is true as my thresholds are 60/40, the filesystem is 20TB, and we're at about 5% utilized. However, i've set my PREMIGRATION percent to 100% (ie, 100% of the filesystem can contain pre-migrated files) so shouldn't everything thats on the filesystem pre-migrate when dsmautomig runs?

My only theory why it may not be running, is because the threshold for the standard migration hasn't been reached, perhaps the only time pre-migration occurs is AFTER standard migration does some work. :confused:

I'd be satisfied, if someone knows a way to force premigration, like 'dsmmigrate', but just for pre-migrating.

Any thoughts??

There's no way to automate premigration, afaik. I'd either run:

find /fsname -type f -atime -1 -exec dsmmigrate -p {} \;

or (even better) I'd fake a dsmls running a dsmls (or find or ls) and displaying a "P" rather than "R" at the required position in the output. Just out of curiosity: Which application behaves like THAT?

Cheers

Peter

Let's start from the beginning. Perform a dsmmigquery and show us the results.

Also provide to us your "candidate" list. Let's take a look and see what is going on.

From my understanding on what you are wanting to do, is to take "unwanted" or "rarely accessed" files and applications off to tape rather than keeping it on disk correct??

Keep in mind the OS filesystems SHOULD NOT be candidates for migration this includes /opt since obviously there are system level binaries, at the application level to consider.

Got it...

Long-aged thread, eh?

I think i got it worked out, as DSMMIGRATE -p does the trick, and i'm not going to run dsmautomigrate any more via an automated POST COMMAND

Thanks for the attention!

Back