Plasmon is Closing its doors, Need Alternatives

icewalker

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
If any of you are customers of Plasmon, you have more than likely heard the news that they are closing their doors for good. If you have not heard, well, I'm sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.

This surprise has left us in a quandry as we have not yet implemented our Plasmon library though it was purchased 6 months ago. We were planning on going live with the new library right after the first of the year for an Enterprise Content Manager Project that requires Ablative Media.

Since we haven't actually started using it yet, I've been tasked to find some alternative solutions to using Plasmon UDO2 technology. I am aware that there are some solutions available that are disk based (mostly from EMC I think), but we want to investigate more akin UDO2 or DVD-RAM technology first as that will be an easier sell.

So, does anybody here employ optical jukeboxes with TSM to meet Federal regulatory requirements (ie, ablative technology)? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks

James

Hi James,
We currently completed a migration to Blu Ray instead. DVD does not cut it at all. Consider looking into blu ray due to it being the better alternative to UDO. It has also become the standard. It's also the same blu laser technology that plasmon used to develop their UDO format. We completed a 240 TB migration late last week for all our CAD files etc. A contact at a crime lab had purchased a huge Plasmon appliance as well a few months ago. Ironically the same company we used for the migration had proposed an alternative Blu Ray system which they didn't consider, funny how things change.
Send me an email and I'll be more than glad to refer you to the company we use. hell it's Phantom Data Systems..not sure where you are but they're in Connecticut.
The problem with disk based technology is that it's spinning disk and there is no true storage/archival reliance there. In addition you're only going to increase your power consumption and increase the possibility of disk drive failure.
Whatever you do, stay away from DVD.
We have to keep all our CAD / Engineering designs (DICOM, etc), to meet regulatory and govt. requirements. Being a supplier to the fed. govt we have a barrage of regulations (which I assume you're well aware of as well).

Good luck.

Kirk

Hello James,My company, PowerFile, has been providing many clients with a migration path from proprietary MO & UDO technologies. A few advantages to the PowerFile Solution: Archive to Industry Standard BluRay (50GB today, 100GB by the Summer), Scalable from 10TB - 140TB in a single 42U rack, extremely low power consumption. I welcome you to visit our website, www.powerfile.com, as well as contacting me directly: E-Mail: [email protected].
I should also mention - I am very, very familiar with the Plasmon products.

Hi Chris,
Alani here from Phantom Data, hows it going? I subscribed to this post and got the notification. Thanks for the effort earlier today, we'll touch base on Monday.

Best Regards,

Alani

Back