plaaning to restore db

sathishdas

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi guys,

Iam plaaning to restore db into a new tsm server jus for RND.

Just tell me if my steps are clear

1.install server
2.create devclass and other info as in devcnfg.out
3.give path of volhist.out, and devcnfg.out in dsmserv.opt
4.backup devconfig and volhist of the new tsm server
using backup devconfig and volhist in the location specified in dsmserv.opt.
5.replace the old devconfig and volhist files into the location specified in dsmserv.opt
6.halt the server.
7.dsmserv restore db todate=today

will this do!!!

I am jus getting started to understand this ocean of TSM

so please help.

Regards,
sathishdas

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

almost there :)
Problem is that by replacing the new devconfig by old one you will lose the actual (new and correct) paths to devices. Why would you define all the device classes and paths when you replace them afterwards?
Keep new devconfig - just modify its "inventory" part so it knows where your DB backup is (physically in the library)

Hope it helps

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

yes, you need to replace the volhist file.
devconfig file - you actually do not need to modify it, if you define new library/paths and then check-in the tapes (preferably using checklabel=barcode status=scratch) - new (temporary) TSM server should let you as it does not know the tapes.

You just to have these lines up-to-date (or atleast one - that with your DB backup)

/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI OVERLAND APS341 33 101*/
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI OVERLAND APS342 34 101*/
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI OVERLAND APS343 35 101*/

Hope it helps

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

what about crating Db vols ans recoveryLog vols?? (dsmfmt)

you need them to be as big or greater than the original

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

yes, good point - I thought he is going to create DB and RLog volumes using the new (temporary) instance ...

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

yes, you need to replace the volhist file.
devconfig file - you actually do not need to modify it, if you define new library/paths and then check-in the tapes (preferably using checklabel=barcode status=scratch) - new (temporary) TSM server should let you as it does not know the tapes.

You just to have these lines up-to-date (or atleast one - that with your DB backup)

/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI OVERLAND APS341 33 101*/
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI OVERLAND APS342 34 101*/
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI OVERLAND APS343 35 101*/

Hope it helps

Harry

Hi guys,

Hi Guys
Thank you i got your point about the db vol and log volumes.

But still i have one doubt

"You just to have these lines up-to-date (or atleast one - that with your DB backup)"

where should i find these lines and how to keep them up to date

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

try to imagine how the restore works - you say "dsmserv restore db todate=today" and what?
TSM tries to start, mounts the DB and RLOG volumes and then ... aaah, restore - so, what do I need? Oh, DB backup ... which one? Looking in volhist out ... OK, I need ABC345 tape ... it is in a MY_BACKUP_DB_DEVC devclass.
What now? Devconfig file .... MY_BACKUP_DB_DEVC points to MY_LIBRARY ... is there a ABC345 tape in the library?
I can see
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI MY_LIBRARY ABC345 35 101*/
line in the devconfig file - so the volume is in the slot 35 (or whatever numbering the library has ....) - so let's mount and restore.

Only problem is to get the right number for the slot. If you have your new TSM instance and run the checkin command (checklabel=barcode and status=scratch) then all you need to do is "backup devconfig" to have the correct locations in the file

OK now?

Harry