Permission retention on linux backups?

jcrichton

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crichtonenterprises.com
My linux admin is worrying about tsm nuking the permissions on our linux box when doing backupos with the client. Its our web server and apperently the permissions are a major thing on it. How well does TSM maintain permission levels when doing a restore? I have poked around but no one seems to think this is an issue. I wanted to ask before I built a seperate linux box to do testing on. Anyone know for certain?

TSM does not touch permissions. Permissions are handled by TSM the way it was setup.

I have tons and tons (literary!) of TSM data files from Linux boxes - and 1/3 are apache web servers - that has no issue with permissions when doing backups/restores.

Last edited:
TSM will restore file permissions no problems.

However I remember reading a while ago, and I'm not sure if it was correct or not and I didn't look into it any further so if somebody could test or verify it - that TSM only keeps one set of permission information for each file backed up including the inactive versions of the same file. The thing I was reading said that if you stuffed up all your file permissions (eg. with an errant chmod -R) , and then did a TSM backup, you wouldn't be able to restore the original permissions any more - you'd get the old data but the new permissions.

Like I said, I'm certainly unsure if this is true but its a 10 minute job to test it out - I don't have access to a server at the moment.

--------------------------
Edit: Found it, its not exactly what I was saying but still has implications:
http://tsmexpert.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_archive.html

Last edited:
Back