Perf LTO 7 / windows 2k12 / Fiber

stratanic

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone find a good parameter to accelerate opération with a LTO 7 ? the max speed is 300 MB/s (Max uncompressed speed) but I never see my total speed go up to 150 MB/s

picture with ***********
1527672097803.png

Server option:
MOVESIZETHRESH 32768
MOVEBATCHSIZE 1000
TXNGROUPMAX 4096
MAXSessions 600
NUMOPENVOLSALLOWED 256

The server options you posted are for node to TSM server transfers and performance is affected by many parameters like file sizes, number of small vs large files, etc.

If you are writing to tape directly, it would be impossible to get the maximum published speed of 300 MB/s.

To get this transfer speed or close to it, transfer must be continuous and may only be achived if the source is faster than the published tape transfer speed, The only device that can sustain fast transfer is a random one which is traditional or solid state disks.

If you don't cache your node data to disk first before writing to tape, then you will not get close to the 300 MB/sec published speed.

In all of my years working with tapes, I never reach published levels because of so many factors that affects data transfers: CRC, file sizes (many small files is bad), etc.

Last edited:
I write my storage pool (oracle backup)(class disk 10 Gig volume) direct to tape (source can go to 600 Mo/s (8 raid disk)) Database is on SSD.
my best perf is with storagepool with no dedup (160 Mo /s)

From what you are saying, I can deduce this:

- the backup data is written to a disk storage pool
- the disk pool is just 10 GB (from above: class disk 10 Gig volume)

It seems that 10 GB for caching backup data is too small to warrant continuous data transfers.

Previous setups I have:

- Oracle DB ~10 TiB
- Disk storage pool: 50 TiB
- Transfers to a 3592-E06 tape drive (published max of 160 Mb/sec, uncompressed): 150 Mb/sec peak
- Fiber is 8 Gb

What is your Fiber speed? Is it zoned correctly?

Last edited:
Same your : Fiber is 8 Gb
My class disk for all data is 10 Giga by volume.
for exemple: Disk storage pool: 20 TiB for oracle for my config.

What is the size of your each volume in storage pool ?

great , with your LTO 6 , reach the maximum speed 150 Mb/se.

In my setup above - it was not a LTO 6; it was a 3592-E06 which is no where near a LTO 6 with respect to performance.

Anyways, I use RAID 6 with each disk at 150 GB. The group totals 50 TiB. This means multiple disk shelves.

What is the size of volume of your Storagepool ?
q devc f=d ==> Est/Max Capacity (MB)
for me is 10 Gig (.BFS) (is default when you install TSM 7)

I mean "volume" for TSM , not the volume group raid (harddrive)

Looks like you have a diskpool that is configured as a sequential storage (DEVCLASS=FILE).

You missed the point.

My disk storage pool is a RANDOM device so extensions .BFS is not valid and data is NOT stored in this manner.

If you configure your cache (disk) pool as a sequential device, you suffer from its inherent slowness.

ok sorry I never use this type (Random) for a storage pool.
Im going investigate the fiber link. (It is really 8 Gb).

Back