OS is toast, but TSM disks are all intact - how to recover TSM?

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

After patching a W2K8 R2 TSM v6.2.4 server it only boots into Safe Mode. Microsoft is not having much luck fixing it so it is starting to look like a OS reinstall will be needed. Here's my questions:

I assume I will be wiping the C drive, install the OS then fresh install of TSM.
Since I have the TSM database and volhist and devconfg files on disk is there a way to use the actual DB files for the restore, or do I still need to use my last DB backup on tape?

PREDATAR Control23

There is no way to use the existing DB and LOG data if you are reinstalling TSM server from the base up.

You need to do a restore.

Reactions: rgg
PREDATAR Control23

I thought I could trick it by reinstalling TSM and running the post config using an identical disk layout. Then halting TSM, replacing the new empty disk layout with the actual files (DB, logs, stgpvols), then restarting TSM. DB2 was not impressed with my slight of hand. I really thought I should be able to get this to work, but had to give up fairly quickly and just restore the DB from tape.

Oh BTW, I also discovered that rebuilding the TSM back to the exact same version as before is not sufficient to restore the TSM DB. My TSM server was running 6.2.4 and I built the new one to the same version. The DB restore kept failing with this error:

ANR2969E Database restore terminated. DB2 sqlcode: -2542. DB2 sqlerrmc: TSMDB1 201

Turns out that I had installed a v6.3 BA client on my original TSM server and that apparently updates an API that is used in the restore of the DB. I found an article describing my exact issue, but it does not tell you how to determine what version BA client you had/need. After installing a v6.3 BA client the restore ran.

Here is a link to that article.

PREDATAR Control23

Yes, that would be the case.

If the BA client was of a lower version, then the restore would have succeeded.