OS AIX 7.1.1 SERVER 7.1.1 upgrade to 7.1.6 - from fix central w/o "license package" issues?

Aldini

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello all
I am researching an upgrade to our 7.1.1 TSM on AIX 7.1 to 7.1.6 (to test storage container pool).
From Fix Central
"Download this fix pack from Fix Central or Passport Advantage.
The server package on Fix Central does not contain the license. If you are upgrading from Version 7.1 or later, the installed license is compatible with this fix pack."

Now for IBM Info Center for 7.1 to 7.1.6 upgrade on AIX
"You must have the Tivoli Storage Manager license pack installed. The license package is provided with the purchase of a base release. When you download a fix pack or interim fix from Fix Central, install the server license that is available on the Passport Advantage website."

My question if I do a q lic we are licensed for EE.
We actually have a front End Suite for Unified Recovery at about 650 TB.
I have the fix from fix central.
Am I to assume that after the 7.1.1 to 7.1.6 upgrade a license is not needed because this is just a fix to the version 7 Release 1 software and thus the license remains through the upgrade process?
However for future reference what exactly does a "tsm server license file" look like on Passport advantage.
Is it a file I download to AIX and install?

I do not see the install package process documented anywhere.
Thanks
Aldini

PREDATAR Control23

Update: Ok so I do see the nodelock ASCII text file in the TSM instance owner home directory. Since a 7.1.1 to 7.1.6 is a fix upgrade and not a version upgrade I assume I do not need to delete the "nodelock" file.
As for the register license <*.lic> command are these lic files downloaded from passport advantage?
Is there a specific PA process to get these *.lic files to apply with register license?
Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

Hello all

Am I to assume that after the 7.1.1 to 7.1.6 upgrade a license is not needed because this is just a fix to the version 7 Release 1 software and thus the license remains through the upgrade process?
Aldini
Yes.

However for future reference what exactly does a "tsm server license file" look like on Passport advantage.
Is it a file I download to AIX and install?
The license file is not in a separate package, it's included with the base package.