Oracle TDPO & TCPClientAddress

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

We have a backup LAN in place and need to be able to have TSM backup my Oracle Dbs (on Unix) using the backup LAN NIC in their servers instead of the main LAN NIC. I do it with filesystems and everything that is scheduled in TSM, but how do I do it if TSM is not scheduling the backup?

These RMAN backup scripts are scheduled with CRON. The TSM scheduler isn't involved.

Normally of course I'd use TCPClientAddress and SchedMode=Prompted, but how can I force use of the backup LAN NIC if TSM isn't the scheduler of these RMAN scripts?

Thank you!

PREDATAR Control23

Take a look at the ---IP Address---your TSM server has assigned to it -which should also be configured for the backup lan.
configure the tcpserveraddress within the dsm.sys accordingly and you should be OK

Run tdpoconf showenv - to test your connection - if you get a response to the correct servername - you should be OK as well - adjust the TDP stanza of your dsm.sys accordingly as well.

You will need a separate stanza for the TDP within your dsm.sys file. And your Oracle dsm.opt file's servername entry should reflect this stanza server name as well as being displayed in your tdpoconf output.
do the comparision, adjust and retry

Good luck - hope this helps
Steven

PREDATAR Control23

doing a Q STAT shows:

Server Name: RCHTSM
Server host name or IP address:TSM01.company.com
Server TCP/IP port number: 1502

I'm assuming that the "Server Host Name" is pulled from the OS? If not, how would I change that? That's our main LAN, NOT the backup LAN. I need for that to be the backup LAN IP if there's a way to manually populate it.

Having said that, I have many TSM clients who are using their backup LAN NIC, and talking back to the TSM server on the backup LAN NIC as expected, so the TSM server is listening on and using both NICs in when the clients are set to specify that backup LAN NIC.

PREDATAR Control23

ok - then assume the TDP will work the same as the client - in your dsm.sys file - make the necessary addtional stanza to reflect the TDP node - use the same IP scheme the clients use - with your schedule as prompted. Insure your Oracle dsm.opt file reflects the servername entry as outlined in the sys file - and run tdpoconf showenv - if you get a multilined response - then you are communicating to the server - RMAN will reference its dsm.opt file accordingly

Good luck

PREDATAR Control23

You should have two dsm.opt files. One for file system backup second for RMAN backup.
In dsm.sys you should have three servername stanza.
One for file system backup
Second for RMAN scheduler
and last for RMAN communication
When you read docoumentation for backing up Oracle you can find all information.
Scheduler need passwordaccess generate but RMAN need passwordacce prompted.
Check documentation Tivoli Storage Manager for Databases Data Protection for Oracle for Unix and Linux, Appendix B.