Oracle Restore to Different Server

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I realize this is not an Oracle RMAN forum but perhaps someone is familiar enough to answer this. I'm restoring an oracle database to a different server to have a test instance available of a full production db. While this is restoring to the different server, if RMAN in production kicks off a backup (hot, or logarchive) will it backup properly without any issue? I assume it will since RMAN is doing the work and is doing it on two different servers. The TSM record of that oracle database's IP address is my concern. It will not be the same as TSM sees when the restore begins (underway now) and I'm wondering if a backup during this restore will cause any problems when production starts to backup and TSM sees another IP coming in for that same DB?

Thanks!

Yes - cause you are storing via another catalog reference point.
You might want to query your Oracle DBAs though to question their backup time schedules - they dont want to introduce harm to themselves.

RE: IP address within TSM. TSM tracks the IP address of clients but does nothing with it. A client connection could come from 14 different IP addresses in a row and TSM will only update the client each time with a new address, nothing more. It should not have any effect on the restore or any backups.

The question of new backup data while a restore is happening: Normally a backup is not allowed while a restore is running but since RMAN uses the API and not the BA it should be OK. If at all possible, I would schedule it so that they do not overlap.

-Aaron

Thanks sgabriel and heada. Two answers a little different, but good food for my thoughts though.

In this case, the restore completed 30 minutes before the backup was scheduled to start so there was no problem. But this will come up again and I'm going to have to find a definitive answer somewhere, probably an Oracle forum or maybe the DBAs here. But surely this has come up with other people in the past. Restoring a DB often can take hours, and I'm sure someone has had that overlap with a backup.

I appreciate both of your replies. Thank you.

TSM appears to use the client IP address only if the client is operating in prompted mode.

If the RMAN backups are not scheduled though TSM you have noting to fear in this regard.

Back