oracle database

click007

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
one of the stance from oracle database backup is failed always (but not every day) ...when i tried to backup by manual ./RMANbackup n then it's going fine.... any idea what's the possible error or how can i fix.... :(

Hello. What exactly do you mean by 'failed' ? Has the scheduler finished with the status FAILED? Or the backup hasn't run at all?

Cheers,
Marcin.

Hi Click -

Are you saying that you have 2 different instances on the same box / same node that you are trying to back up?
Please clarify.

Thx -
-Chef.

error log

yes the scheduler finished with the status FAILED... the error log is as follows:

RMAN-03009: failure of sql command on default channel
RMAN-11003: failure during parse/execution of SQL statement: alter system archive log current
ORA-16014: log 4 sequence# 9910 not archived, no available destinations
ORA-00312: online log 4 thread 2:

there is 4 instances on one node

same

the RMAN script is the same for all instances :confused:

Hi -

If you have 2 oracle nodes on one machine, your RMAN script can't be exactly the same.
Else all the data will go under the one node's info on the TSM server and you won't be able to recover node 2.

(We will call it a 'node' for purposes of this explanation -
node 1 - oracle instance A
node 2 - oracle instance B)

You must pay attention to how are you calling it in this section of the RMAN scripts -

run script alloc_all_tapes_backup_TSM {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE' parms
'ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64/tdpoFED.opt)';

Notice my "tdpoFED.opt" at the end - that has to match for each different node.
Here "FED" is my node 1, and "BUG" is my node 2 -
So I do have another RMAN script with "tdpoBUG.opt" in it for the oracle BUG user to run.

You will need a separate dsm.opt and tdpo.opt for each node to be able to call it in this way.
So each node should have it's own separate environment setup for backups.
(If running under the same ID, you will have some finagling to do...)

And you must also run the script as the correct user to be able to access the data for each "node".

Hope that helps.
-Chef.

Last edited:
thanks for the guide...
i m new to TSM & n want to learn more... :)
my oracle database is at AIX n the tsm server is 2003... so when i checked the RMAN script for 4 instances on AIX, all r the same .....n i couldnt find the script that u mentioned....
from tsm server, the schedule action is /backup.sh
from client AIX, in the /backup.sh , /home/1/RMAN
/home/2/RMAN

ok - can you paste what you have for /home/1/RMAN/backup.sh then and we'll see how we can help?

Also - since they are different oracle homes -
you must have different oracle users here...let us know what they are as well.

RMAN script

#!/bin/sh
#
# RMANbackup0
# Function: RMAN backup whole database and archive redo log files
# Chootham T.
# Jan 16, 2006
ORACLE_HOME=/ora1/product/10.2.0
ORACLE_SID=bDB2
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/lib32
export ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_SID PATH

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman target / @$HOME/scripts/inc0.rcv log=$HOME/log/rman_backup_$(date "+%d%m%y").log append
exit

Back