Operations Center lists a VM that isn't shown in a query vm command

SimonMillard

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Operations Center 7.1.1 is listing a VM as at risk which isn't shown in the query vm command.

The VM name is a corrupt form of another VM we have in the form:-

vmname?ÿþ?ÿÿÿþ

and has 134MB of data associated with it but no last backup date.

Has anyone any idea how I can get rid of it?

PREDATAR Control23

The query vm command only shows you completed backups because you can't restore from an incomplete backup. So if the backup started, a filespace would get created for that VM, but there would not be any backup completed date because it did not finish.

Check if there is a filespace on it on the TSM Server:
q fi * \VMFULL*

If there is, then you can delete that filespace: delete filespace {nodename} "vmname?ÿþ?ÿÿÿþ"
The filespace name is case sensitive, since it appears you have special characters in the VM name, enclose it in double quotes. IMPORTANT, this is irreversible, only delete it if that is you no longer need it.

PREDATAR Control23

No filespace found on the TSM server with this name.

Not sure where TSM got this from or where its being held.

PREDATAR Control23

I'm not sure where it's picking it. In the OC, you can change the at-risk to Bypass, so at least you won't get alerts. You can also try to decommission that VM from the OC. It won't get removed right away, just when the retention period has been passed.

PREDATAR Control23

How do you decommission the VM from the OC?

The only way I know how to do this is to delete the associated filespace but there isn't one here.

PREDATAR Control23

Sorry, you are at 7.1.1 of the OC. Feature only available at 7.1.3 and up of both the server and the OC.

PREDATAR Control23

Upgrade to 7.1.3 is scheduled for Q1 2016 so will have to live with it until then.

Many thanks for your assistance

PREDATAR Control23

7.1.4 is out, if you are going to plan an upgrade, may as well go to that level.

Here is what it looks like once you are there:
upload_2015-12-18_10-9-38.png