Operating System excluding folders

bkunst

Newcomer
Reaction score
One of our clients noticed a log file wasn't being backed up on their Windows server. I asked the to run a "preview backup" command on the file and received this output:

Preview generated on 01/04/2017 12:17:05.
Name: Size: Type: Status: Pattern: Source: Mgmt Class:
C:\Temp\BundleApp.log 198 B .log Excluded C:\Temp\...\* Operating System DEFAULT

So it appears that Windows is blocking backups for files in the C:\Temp\ directory. I've only ever seen the dsm.opt/sys file or a server-side client option set in the "Source:" column, never "Operating System". Has anyone encountered this before, and if so, do you know where on a Windows server you can enable backups for the C:\Temp directory?

Thanks,

Brian Kunst
Storage Administrator
Large Scale Storage & Systems
UW Information Technology

When the TSM Client starts, it queries all the VSS writers to determine what files need to be excluded as well as the registry key "FilesNotToBackup". Those are are listed as "FilesNotToBackup" appear as Operating System.

upload_2017-1-5_8-4-57.png
source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/client/r_cmd_queryinclexcl.html

I would not recommend deleting anything in that registry key. If you have data you need backed up in Temp, I would recommend that it's stored elsewhere because it's common that if a the C: runs low on space, someone will come along and flush out the temp directory.

Back