Open File Agent - Where to obtain & How to use ?

Janice

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi. I have some open files in wintel need to be backup. The TSM server is on unix machine. I am checking is there is Open File Agent can be use. Is it one of the product in the TSM family ? Where i can obtain this agent ? How to set up for backup open files?

Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

Set up open file support to back up locked files (such as archived PST files in Microsoft Outlook):
From the Utilities menu, select Setup Wizard.
Place a check in the Help Me Configure Open File Support check box.
Click Next.
Click Next.
Select the Logical Volume Snapshot Agent (LVSA) option.
Click Next.
Click Apply.
Click Finish.

PREDATAR Control23

I believe Janice asked for Open File Support for UNIX not Windows unpaired. But you're right on what would be used on Windows. As for UNIX you have two options. Set the backup SERIALIZATION in the COPYPOOL to DYNAMIC which will allow you to backup open files but cannot guarantee it wont be a corrupt backup, or use a preschedule command to perform the task to close out the file before the backup begins. UNIX doesn't typically lock files so unless the files it being written to at the time the backup attempt occured TSM will get a valid backup. Typically log files and DB files cause the largest headaches. If you need log files backed up you could timestamp copy them with a preschedule command and exclude the active log file so it doesn't kick out the error.