One time archive straight to tape of a filesystem not defined in TSM

MiniPlenty

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am relatively new to TSM and have inherited a medium-sized, but fairly simple environment where we do incrementals to disk and/or file (depending on file size), then roll over to tape, then take offsite.

We have a client with a large storage area that is not currently being backed up at all (except there are disk snapshots available for a time) to TSM. They now would like an offsite archive of this data created for them on tape, and to be able to take the tape offsite to their location.

Is there a way I can perform an archive like this on a filesystem that is not currently defined in TSM, without having it go through the normal process of being defined, and then creating a backupset from that? I ask because I'd like to avoid inundating my disk and file pools with this data that is so large.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to go about this.

Sorry, any backup, archive, or backup sets should be defined in TSM; otherwise, nothing can be restored. :(

It sounds like you have a network share that's not being backed up. You can setup a separate node on a host where it's mounted and do an archive of the file system. At that point, you can either copy the archive storage pool to copy storage pool tape and send it offsite or just eject the archive tape.

It sounds like you have a network share that's not being backed up. You can setup a separate node on a host where it's mounted and do an archive of the file system. At that point, you can either copy the archive storage pool to copy storage pool tape and send it offsite or just eject the archive tape.
Make sure to send the archives to a management class that is as long as the retention you need because once expired from TSM, that tape is useless.

Alternatively, you could archive to a new node, then export that new node and it's data to tape and check that out. Then you would have the ability to import that tape on any TSM Server for as long as you are using TSM.

Back