offsite primary pool tapes

Rojer

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hello,

there is a TS3100 tape library with single tape drive as per company policy Regular Full backup of exchange server is going on ...

since the library has single drive so there is no copy pool..

my question is can i check out the tape of exchange full backup from primary pool with tsm full database backup for offsite purpose so that i can use this volumes in case of disaster...

Rojer,

Theres nothing to stop you sending primary tapes offsite for DR. However without a copy you will be risking data loss if the tape is lost in transit or damaged in some way.

Plus if your one and only copy is offsite, the time taken to do client restores will be increased. I realise you only have one tape, but if you are able to get some disk for staging these backups before going to tape you will be able to get a copy for offsiting.

-Chris

hhmm.... i knw this is not the ryte way to takeaway primary storage pool's volume.... and it is not possible to me to get another drive for now....

in the mean time if i take full backup of my exchange and checkout that cartridge where the full backup is stored... and just after this i again take full backup so that one copy remains exist on primary pool and one copy will be keep offsite....

plz correct me if i am wrong

Last edited:
I guess that will work, it's just not an optimal solution. Be sure to check your copygroup settings - because you're essentially doing double the number of backups (if I've read correctly) if you dont update your retention parameters you might be expiring backups before you mean to.

-Chris

Rojer,

You do what you have to do... Check the move media command. I also have had the problem where a library reaches capacity and has no slots available. I have had to resort to ejecting primary media. Not the ideal solution but you do what you have to do to keep production running.

help move media.

Back