Offsite copypool tape reclamation - is a reclaim pool required?

jamesmacd40

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

hi all

just wondering if a reclamation pool is required to reclaim copypool tapes that are offsite in a vault?

i have read that SP will reclaim tapes with access of offsite without needing those tapes back onsite by rebuilding using the primary storage pool.

my initial guess is that i dont need a reclamation pool defined, all i need to do is update the DRM copypool from 100 to say 80 or 90% reclaim, then allow reclamation to run for a while, and then reset back to 100. SP will have the smarts hopefully to take the data sitting on those tapes and from the primary pool, rebuild it a copypool tape (only 1 tape drive in library) to be taken offsite once complete, and bring back any tapes that should be showing as scratched out now...

i just want to make sure that when reclamation happens on the DRMCOPY pool, that it doesnt sit there looking for input and output volumes and never does anything

PREDATAR Control23

SP will have the smarts hopefully to take the data sitting on those tapes and from the primary pool, rebuild it a copypool tape (only 1 tape drive in library) to be taken offsite once complete, and bring back any tapes that should be showing as scratched out now...
If your primary pool is disk yes.

all i need to do is update the DRM copypool from 100 to say 80 or 90% reclaim,
15 years ago that was the only method. Now you have two options, the one you mentioned, which is cumbersome. Or use the RECLAIM STGPOOL command with the duration option for how long you want it to run.

PREDATAR Control23

so instead of this (i have a script set up)

Upd script DRMCOPY_RECLAIM “update stg DRMCOPY reclaim=80” line=010

Upd script DRMCOPY_RECLAIM “reclaim stg DRMCOPY dur=120 wait=yes” line=015

Upd script DRMCOPY_RECLAIM “update stg DRMCOPY reclaim=100” line=020

Just update DRMCOPY copypool to reclaim=90 (or whatever) and in the script remove line010 and line020 completely as the dur in line 015 will stop the reclamation after 120 minutes

PREDATAR Control23

You also mentioned you only wanted to reclaim a few tapes at a time. You could use this option too:

OFFSITERECLAIMLimit
Specifies the maximum number of offsite storage pool volumes that the
server tries to reclaim. This parameter is valid only for copy
storage pools. You can specify a number 0 - 99999. This parameter is
optional. If not specified, the OFFSITERECLAIMLIMIT attribute of the
storage pool definition is used.

So you could use that instead or in combination with duration.

PREDATAR Control23

awesome, thanks!
i actually have that setting set to 4, and will adjust as required