offline scan - repair needed

Vandieberg

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

hey guys,

so i have a volume which windows server manager has flagged as requiring an offline scan and repair.
This volume is 128TB and currently only has 1.7tb free. windows server 2016 has a volume size limit of 127tb so i am unable to grow this volume. i also only have 5.27tb free in the storage pool.

i have added another volume to the storage pool which i am using as an overflow drive at the moment and so the original volume frees up abit of space and back ups can continue.

the only thing i can think of to do going forward is enabling windows data deduplication on the drive as this should free up space on the original volume and get me out of trouble but i dont want to do that while its marked as requiring an offline scan and repair.

i am guessing doing a full offline scan and repair will take ages and will mean my backups wont run for a couple of days which i can really get away with.. do i have any other options? was thinking maybe running chk /spotfix but wanting to know if anyone has some better advice?

Attachments

• offline scan.JPG
    offline scan.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Volumes.JPG
    Volumes.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
PREDATAR Control23

the only thing i can think of to do going forward is enabling windows data deduplication on the drive as this should free up space on the original volume and get me out of trouble but i dont want to do that while its marked as requiring an offline scan and repair.
You also don't want to do that for performance reasons, that will kill your storage pool performance.

Are you able to read some of the storage pool volumes on that filesystem? If so, you can use move data to move some of those volumes to other storage pool volumes on a different filesystem.

Too late for this time, but in the future, you are better off with having multiple filesystems on multiple LUNS for your storage pool. Usually 10 to 30 filesystems are recommended. This is something to consider when you are back in operations or if you get to a point where you have to restore the storage pool from your copy pool.

PREDATAR Control23

What type of storage is your volume living on?
Is this volume solely dedicated to TSM data?
What type of storage pool is using this drive?

As to amount of time chkdisk will take, millions of little files vs larger files will have an impact in time to completion. That said, if you have other drives and can move volume or move container give that a shot. Worst case is, you have a copy of your backups right? May have to repair the data from your copy.