OC - replication workload

foobar2devnull

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have installed the "Operations Center" to give a graphical overview of the backup status and generate some basic reports for the teams.

I am trying to understand what the "Replication Workload" field is and what it represents. The general report I receive each day stated a value of 60TB!

Can someone tell me what that value means? Data transferred before it was compressed/deduped? Daily, monthly or just retention period? I simply cannot find the relevant information.

Thank you for any info you may have.

Click on Storage, then Replication in the OC:
upload_2016-11-15_8-54-2.png

Then on the funky wheel and Replication
upload_2016-11-15_8-52-54.png

This will open the Help for this section of the OC and here is what it says for workload:
Workload
The total amount of client data to be replicated for the source-to-target server pair.

If the network connection between the source replication server and the target replication server is not available, an unavailable status icon
unavailable.png
is displayed. Verify that the two servers have connectivity.

If replication tasks are running, the workload bar highlights the progress of the replication tasks. A marker on the workload bar shows the projected amount of data to be replicated for the running tasks in relation to the overall workload.

To view details about the workload, hover over the workload bar. The details that are shown include the number of running tasks, the number of bytes replicated, and the number of bytes that are projected to be replicated.

Sorry for late reply. I found the doc. What I find hard to understand is what the values mean.

I replicate my servers through a 1 Gbit line. In the OC, I have a single server (a database obviously) showing a staggering 51TB under the "Replication Workload".
image.png

The server does not have 51TB storage and the line would not be able to handle such amounts of data. So what does 51TB mean?

It looks to me like the "Replication Workload" represents all the data on the TSM Server for that node before dedup/compression. I am not at work at time of replication but i imagine it would only be a fraction of what is displayed that needs to be transferred.

Is that a fair assumption? Do you have any documentation on this other than the above? I'd really like to understand this.

Did you hover over the workload bar for more details?

Hi all,
I thought I'd give some feedback now that I have half an answer. It was simply that some quite large servers where setup to replicate but where node being replicated because I had forgotten to add them to the replication group. Once I added them, the bar shrank to under 1TB.

I think that the 51TB represented the theoretical data that needed to be transfered without taking into account deduplication.

In short, if the bar increases, check your replication rules! ;)

Thank you all for your help.

Back