NW 7.6 moving from VTL to adv file type dev

johnpford

Newcomer
Reaction score
A while ago I made the move from physical tape to using a DL3D VTL. It's worked great for us, but now were moving to a Data Domain and backing up straight to a share.

So I have a few questions to throw out there.

1) I'm under some legal holds so I want to migrate my existing Volumes to the Share. I have used the nsrclone in the past, but after reading I think that the nsrmigrate might be a better choice. Thoughts?

2) Given that some hosts are under legal hold, I have had whole volumes under hold because of some save sets on the tape. If I use the advanced file types, I'm thinking I can get more granualer. So I was thinking about how to handle them. Do I change the retention? Or do I create a seperate share and "archive" that as well. That way then the dedupe will take care of the files being there. What have you all done? Another way is to send it to tape, but hey if I have the space and dedupe will handle it why not keep it there? Thoughts?

3) Any gotchas I need to know about with the advanced file types??

4) I've gone through the best practice docs, and we don't do encryption and limited compression(fixed all that with the DL3D). Is there anything else that I need to look for with settings, or other common problems??

5) How granualler did you all get with your groups? It looks like I can get crazy now if I want considering that media is gone.

6) I think also that if savesets expire, that the clean up process just nukes the old files. Is this the case?? I kind of got used to being able to just not relabling tapes if they were under hold and keeping them.

Sorry, I have a whole lot of thoughts in my head now that I'm making the move. Please let me know if there is something I'm missing.

Back