Noob with a new disk unit. Need to know how to create new sequential volumes

DonkeyKong

Newcomer
Reaction score
I've managed to inherit our tsm backup system(our lad just upped and left for a new job). I really have no idea what to do. We have a new disk box that needs sequential disk volumes setting up. All i've been told is that the volumes need to be bfs files.
I'm really sorry if this is a very basic question, but i'm in a position where i have absolutley no idea what im asking for, or how to achieve it.
please be gentle and please help

I've managed to inherit our tsm backup system(our lad just upped and left for a new job). I really have no idea what to do. We have a new disk box that needs sequential disk volumes setting up. All i've been told is that the volumes need to be bfs files.
I'm really sorry if this is a very basic question, but i'm in a position where i have absolutley no idea what im asking for, or how to achieve it.
please be gentle and please help

First of all, welcome to the forum!

The BFS extension is created by the TSM environment automatically. Here are some basic steps you need to know and check before you can go ahead and create the environment:

1. What is the sequential disk volumes going to be used for? Primary or secondary (copy) storage?
2. How are is the disk storage attached to the TSM server? NFS or direct attach? In either case, you have to make that the 'attachment' to the TSM server is persistent
3. Will the new disk storage part of an existing storage pool or will be a new one?

Answer these first and post back. Your answers will determine how simple or complex the work that you need to do.

thanks for the rsponse. appreciated
right, here we go
it's(or will be) a primary storage pool
it's an external unit, but seen by the server as local, actually mapped to a letter(J:\)
it's a new storage pool

regards

Back