Nodes Exports

nbritton2015

Newcomer
Reaction score
I am working to move nodes from a 5.5 to a 6.2 instance for long term storage, mostly archive data that is needed for regulatory reasons. The 6.2 is a new instance that i stood up and is basically all default. I will be doing this from multiple different tsm servers. No new backups will be wrote to this server.

My question is if i import node data will all the retention be carried over or will it assume the retention of mgmt class it is imported into. Currently the only mgmt class is the default one for a new server.

My thought was to use this process to move the node data:
export node node1 filedata=all toserver=destination

Thank your our time
Nick

I don't have an answer but I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing only I'm doing it because my existing hardware is failing and I'm moving to new hardware; but, I needed the answer to the same question. And, since I didn't find the answer and didn't have time to wait for an answer...

I set the retention policies to NOL on all my management classes until I get all the data ingested and figure out what I'm going to do. I can't take a chance on having any data expire! I would think that if it's archive data you're saving, you'd want it to be NOL as well, no?

-brian

My question is if i import node data will all the retention be carried over or will it assume the retention of mgmt class it is imported into. Currently the only mgmt class is the default one for a new server.

From the HELP:
If you specify a domain on the source server and if that policy domain also exists on the target server, the imported nodes get associated with that same policy domain on the target server. Otherwise, imported nodes are associated with the STANDARD policy domain on the target server.
source: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/srv.reference/r_cmd_node_import.html

So, if they are not using the STANDARD domain, if you want to retain the same policies, it's best to use EXPORT/IMPORT POLICY to get the domains and management classes first, then when you do the import, you can assign the nodes to their respective domains to keep the original retention.

Back