No data in Restore Table

charsi

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We are running TSM 4.2.3 and the restore table is empty. When I do a select statement no data is collected. Any ideas... :-o

I am trying to gather data on restores that are typically done over say a month....all I started of with was "select * from restores" and no data is retrieved .... and it says no match found using this criteria....i did a couple of restores to test....the restores work but the activity does not seem to get logged in the restore table....neither in the summary table....any help is appreciated in retrieving this info...thanx a million....

Also has anyone else experienced any issues with the summasry table....for example I have 1000 nodes on scheduled backups....the backups complete but only 50 nodes get written to the summary table....the others do not....any clues....

I am not trying to do a restore...I am trying to get a report on all the restores that wer done in the past month.... i thought that for every restore operation performed the summary was written in the restore table....is that correct ? thanx

I'm going to take a stab at this.

the sql table "restores" is probably for restartable restores. TSM server keeps restores sessions that were interrupted and that can be restarted by the client. See TSM client docs for restartable restores if you are interested.

Otherwise, I can think of two things

1) use TSM accounting file. I've written perl programs in the past that easily parse the information so that a manager can look and see how much data has been backed up by a client(s) or restored. I might want to say here that the numbers in the accounting file are a estimate of how much data is transferred since some of that data is also file metadata rather than actual file date.

2) set activity log to to 31 days and then use a perl activity log scanner that pulls out backup or restore data. Again, written stuff this tool before so I know it's very doable.

cheers

rick

The restores table is only for restartable restores. You will need to either use accounting records or make life easier on yourself and just use the summary table. At least with the summary table you can develop some reports. Also make sure you set your Activity Summary Retention Period is set to 30+ days. :)

Back