Newbie question about HSM for Windows

DavidTyree

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
http
We are looking at the possiblity of adding HSM for Windowsto our current TSM installation and i've got a question or two about it.

I've read over most of the docs about HSM and i think i have a pretty understanding of how it works.

I was wondering if is possible to configure it to actually delete really old files from the system. As an example, a folder is created on a server and some files get put in it. Time goes by (months maybe) and HSM now sees that the files have been sitting around for long enough for HSM to stub the file and move it to storage.
Even more time passes and the file has been sitting in storage for say 2 years. Is it possible to have HSM delete both the stub and the file itself?

We would like to be able to completely delete old untouched files from systems. I mean files/folders that haven't been touched in years.

Is it possible with HSM?

HSM won't delete stub files. You should delete the stub file manually or with a script and run HSM reconciliation process to delete them from the TSM server.

/* You can also use "dsmc archive" command with "-filelist=" and "-deletefiles" options... */

Back