New Spectrum install... Windows vs RedHat?

kejar31

Newcomer
Reaction score
We are looking at upgrading\refreshing our TSM environment. Looking for recommendations on which OS we should run on the Servers? If you could please include the reasons as to why you would go with one solution over another..

What platform are you using today? How do you plan to migrate?
It's usually easier to migrate to the same platform.

In all honesty I feel pretty conformable with supporting either environment. We are current coming from an AIX environment (one that I acquired from my predecessor) and our current AIX admin is retiring this this year.. In all honesty I do not feel comfortable supporting AIX and our hardware refresh is up, so we are moving on.

As for migration, we are paying a third party company to manage that for us (although I will be involved/running the project). The vendor managing the migration seems fine with either setup but their tech did say he leans toward Linux. I have asked him to provide the details on why, but he is onsite with another project atm and we need to have a choice for budgeting reasons by this Friday.

Thanks for the links I will take a look and see if there is anything in there that might help me guide my decision.

My preference - based on past experiences with so many OS like Solaris, Windoze, AIX, Mainframe, Linux - I would run TSM (in order of preference) on AIX, Linux, Solaris/Mainframe and (least of all) Windoze.

I really hate the frequent patching and rebooting of Windoze.

If money is not an issue, I would get AIX in a heartbeat. Alas, AIX is very expensive from a hardware viewpoint but very stable and forgiving from an OS viewpoint.

Back